Through the year I have volunteered at West Vancouver Community Center and West Vancouver Memorial Library for series of events.
West Vancouver Community Center:
- Volunteer at concession Stand at Ambleside Youth Center (every Friday, 8:00 – 10:00)
- For this job, I was required to sell food and lend out supply to the youth who comes into the center. This helped me develop my skills of communication and learn the sense of community because I was working and negotiating with people who live in the same community as me. I think that this is a very valuable experience because I got to know a lot of people from other schools, such as West Vancouver Secondary and Sentinel.
- Children Logo Program (every Saturday, 10:15 – 12:00)
- I was helping out at the Logo Program where I was able to develop my corporation and communication skills, especially with the younger children. I also learned to be more tolerance when facing a not very ideal situation, such as children screaming around.
- Special Events (Christmas sale, etc.)
- Develop close relation between people from other schools which widened my friend circle. This really helped me develop the skills of communicating and working with people I have first met.
West Vancouver Memorial Library:
- Book Buddies (every Saturday, 1:00-2:15 p.m.)
- This volunteer opportunity not only provides me the chance to connect with the children in my community but also helped me ceased from the pressure that I received every day.
- Special Events (Remembrance Day, etc.)
- By helping out at these events, I got the chance to fell a sense of unity in the community I lived in. Although I couldn’t meet all the people in the community, I was able to see most of them and help them during these special events.