May 18

CAS- Final Reflection

This year the CAS commitments that I have completed are as follows:

Service

Volunteering with Vancouver Coastal Health at Cedarview Residential Centre (once a week)

Volunteering with Junior School grades 3-4 volleyball extra-curricular

Creativity 

Student Voice Council- designing surveys, new sweater ideas, feedback collection ideas

Human Rights Club- designing posters and other awareness ideas

Action

Jr. Girls Volleyball team

Not all of my commitments that I planned to do worked out. For example, I had planned on being a member of the Global Week Club, but I found that with the commitments that I already had, I wasn’t able to commit to it. I also was not able to attend any MUN conferences, therefore I cannot count it as a creative as I had planned. Although I was not able to do these, I am satisfied with the commitments that I did complete.

The first commitment that I would like to reflect on being apart of the Jr. Girl’s Volleyball team. This was my second year of playing on this team. We had a wide variety of ages and with no grade 12s playing, we had learn to play as a team. I am happy with my improvement as a volleyball player. Although there are many things that I could still work on, I have really improved my serve. I am now able to serve consistently and even aim to a better spot on the court. I think that I have also improved my hitting and passing. In comparison to last year, I am much more confident and aggressive in practices and during games. This was one of my major goals that I took on at the beginning of the year, and I think that I have met it. In the last game of the season, I played for the entire time and got player of the game, something that I am really proud of. I am looking forward to hopefully playing again next year as it really helped me to bond with people who were a little outside my social circle, while developing my skills as a volleyball and team player.

I decided to take the skills that I had developed in volleyball this year and in the past years to help mentor younger students in grades 3 and 4. I started volunteering with the after school volleyball club and have found it incredibly rewarding. I really enjoy spending time with the kids. I think that one of the biggest thing I am able to help them by teaching them the skills that they need in a way that helped me. As I have developed as player, I have found my own tricks to learning skills such as hitting, passing and serving. I have found it extremely rewarding to be able to teach one of the kids how to serve and see the joy that they have when the finally get it. I really want to able to continue this next year and maybe even help coach the grade 5 team next year.

My creative commitment for this year has been to due with Student Voice. This has been a challenging thing to be apart of as the results are not easy to come by. This year I have designed surveys, launched proposals to help gather student feedback, finalized the design on a possible new sweater and helped lead the club. I think that I have demonstrated the CAS learning outcome of initiative and planning. I have really taken charge this year as the grade 11s began to take lead. Ranna, the other student who has been in student voice for the past two years, and I have taken a major leading role on this and have taken charge with the group. We have launched new ideas such as ways to break down the social barriers and create more interaction between social groups. I am looking forward to continuing this next year and achieving more success.

In Human Rights which I joined at the start of the second semester, I have both volunteered in service and creative ways. One example is that I designed and created posters with facts about international women’s day that we posted all over the school to raise awareness. Human Rights Club has been really rewarding and it is incredible to see how commitment everyone is to bring change and awareness to the the global world.

I am proud of my achievements in service this year. I volunteer at Cedarview Lodge, a residential home on the North Shore. It has been a great experience to be involved in the community outside Mulgrave and interact with people who are able to share different perspectives. I think that by participating in this service commitment I have challenge myself by stepping outside the bubble that Mulgrave provides in terms of service, because of this I think that I have demonstrated the CAS learning outcome of challenge. I have found it really rewarding to be able to talk to the seniors and here them talk to the seniors. Once a week I go and talk to the seniors and help out with programs such as trivia, word searches and cross word puzzles. It is really eye opening to be able bond with them. Honestly, it is pretty sad to see the residents be really depressed by their situation. A lot of them have dementia or Alzheimer’s or other disabilities and many do not have families or do not see their families very often. Learning how to communicate with them while maintaining a level of respect and dignity that they should get has been difficult, but has been getting easier and more rewarding each week. During the summer I am hoping to volunteer more at Cedarview and continue this not only next year, but after I graduate as well.

Overall my commitments in CAS have allowed me developed in many ways. Whether it has been my skills as a volleyball player or my communication skills with others, I have gained a lot of experience and new perspectives that I will always carry with me. I am looking forward to both continuing these commitments, expanding on them and even beginning new ones my grad year.

Posted May 18, 2016 by jenissa17 in category Advising, CAS

About the Author

jenissa sunderjj. grade 12. mulgrave school.