Term 1 – Design

As I am a Middle School freshman, I am new to many subjects such as Science, Social Studies, Performing Arts, Design, and Life & Learning. This first term, my section (7-01) participated in Design, formally known as DT. The other sections (7-02/7-03) did Visual Arts. Overall, I succeeded in this subject, and my teacher (Mr Eakin) assured me in my conference that I had nothing to worry about as I was doing just fine.

Project #1: Magazine Cover

In this project, we explored different ways to catch the target user’s attention. Examples include font (my Science Fair can prove that!), colour choice, layout, and topic. In the first step (Inquiry & Analysis), we created questions to inquire into, and we researched those questions hoping to find answers. In the second step (Developing Ideas), we drew drafts of our final cover. At the beginning of this step, we made a chart of client, designer and product specifications that would be useful for catching target user’s attention. The expectation was to have three different odrafts of your cover, and to pick the best one, in which then you re-draw that draft and have a paragraph why it is the best option. In the third step (Creating the Solution), we used Google Drawings (digital) to replicate our final draft (that was on paper). We wrote a manufacturing plan, which told the steps like an instructions manual.  We also had to make a list of the changes we made (from the final draft to the actual cover) and why. In the fourth step (Evaluating), we evaluated ourselves through simple testing. We used our Developing Ideas questions to ask our clients what they thought.

Project #2: Robotics

In tis project, we explored how to create our own house-cleaning robot, along with figuring out how VEX Robots work. In the first step, (Inquiry & Analysis), we did the same as the first project: research. I learned about some existent house-cleaning robots such as the Dyson 360 Eye; Roomba; Scooba; and Braava. In the second step (Developing Ideas), we listed product, client and designer specifications like in the first project. We also drew our three drafts for our robot, although we knew we were not actually building them. We selected the best one and wrote a passage why it was the best. In the third step (Creating the Solution), I was paired up with David C. to build the VEX Robot. We finished first, so we had many classes to adjust or re-build parts of the robot. We both made a chart of the changes we made (from the instructions manual to our opinions). In the fourth step (Evaluating), we tested our robots through a course made by Mr Eakin, he merged all of our ideas altogether. It had a time limit of 3 minutes and you had to navigate around six wooden posts (mobility), and move 2 small balls and 2 big balls from one side to another (strength), placing each into a donut shaped thing (control). Here is a diagram: https://docs.google.com/a/mulgrave.com/drawings/d/1F3NW8JiaXAHcV9uw-5JfKVjv-eAHNOBx-clSPQm8NNI/edit

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.