Zoom was a part of the year I was really looking forward to in grade 11, partly because it’s something I love and partly because I’d never done it before. I got into a group of 5- myself, Sarah, Micaela, Josh and Stephen. At 5pm on Friday Oct. 25th, we received our theme and prop: Karma, and a ticket. My group had come up with a starter idea involving candles, (as we knew this would look great on film) and a girl who has interactions with different props. We fleshed out our idea into a workable plotline, and spent Friday night filming the few night scenes and scripting/developing the details. Saturday was mostly filming our main scenes until 3pm, and then editing until late that night. On Sunday, final touches were put onto the project and we made our way to Mulgrave to burn our disk at 2. We ended up handing in the burnt disk by 3, a full 2 hours before the due date, and we were pretty happy with the outcome.

Something my group did really well was working together to get footage. Although we all had our separate roles, it was obvious that we all wanted to try everything and we made it work. This meant that we all had help in our jobs and didn’t get stuck on anything for too long. We also had very good time management- as I can be a bit of a control freak and I know other people in the group who consider themselves to be the same, ┬ástaying on track and not getting behind was important to us as a group. This was invaluable in such a time-crunch of a project, especially with the equipment we used and in the style of film we did. A last thing my group did well in Zoom was thinking outside of the box and being creative. It would’ve been much easier to choose an simpler idea and a more everyday example of karma, such as a teenager that misbehaves and gets caught for it. Going with a supernatural, difficult idea as we did was extremely challenging but I believe it made the project that much better.

One thing we could’ve improved on in our film was simplifying our plot throughout the project. We wanted to do a simple plot but ended up building on it until it because slightly confusing to the viewer, a fact which we only noticed, unfortunately, after we handed it in. If we really wanted to stick with the plot, next time I would add dialogue. We went for the affect of having only one line of dialogue in the film- something that limited us in how we could portray the story. Although adding dialogue might take away from the feeling of the film, it might be worth it so as to clarify the plot for the viewer. It might also have been helpful to film with a storyboard so as to get a better idea of what the clips would look like in the final product. I found that sometimes when we were filming, we didn’t know how to put together the scene so as to make it look great as a final product. Lastly, we spent a lot of time perfecting the editing process as opposed to spending more time perfecting the shots. I would’ve been more comfortable spending a lot of time getting each shot right and then editing more loosely, simply because the editing was more about adding extras while the footage was the bulk of the project.