TMC Headlines

WELCOME BACK FROM YOUR GEx EXPEDITIONS!

GEx SURVEYS! WE WANT YOUR FEEDBACK! Please make sure you take the time to complete the GEx student surveys for Grade 7s and Grade 8-9 programmes; we will close these surveys today. Please kindly remind your parents as well to complete the survey that was shared with them last week; it will also close tonight.

BIG CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR GRADS 2018

Congratulations to our 2018 graduands on becoming official “graduates” this weekend and hope your Convocation and Grad Ball were spectacular!

HOW DID OUR GRADS FIND THEIR FIT?
Check out the recent newsletter post to find out where our grads are going next year…

What makes a university ‘the one’? How do you choose between acceptances? These are the questions many high school students grapple with as they make decisions about where to apply and which offer to accept. We met with our grads to hear their perspective on the decision-making process. They emphasised the importance of understanding individual priorities because ultimately, its all about finding the right fit.

Student #Leadership 2018-2019 Follow-Up

Some of you may have been wondering when you’ll find out about your applications for major student leadership in the Upper School 2018 2019. Due to the important changes being made in Grade 12 leadership, we have taken longer than usual to go through student applications and get feedback to you regarding candidates selection

Except for a few cases most major leadership opportunities have not been adressed yet. Many groups are still getting out communications and some are even beginning to do their interviews. If you have not heard back from groups at this point you should hear back within the next few weeks before the end of school.  Here’s the information that I have received so far regarding the status of leadership applications for different teams. If you can’t remember what the teams are all about please click here to read about them in detail: Senior School Leadership Overviews and Middle School Overviews:

G7-12 HeadsUp: A communication email has been sent out to student applicants and follow up invitations to meet have been made. If you have not received this communication, but you’re interested in joining this team, please contact Ms Collins at mcollins@mulgrave.com.

G10-12 Student Voice: Communications to student applicants have been made and decisions about selections have been shared. Please contact Dr Tabet if you have questions.

G-12 Arts Council: Communications to student applicants are coming soon! Please contact Mr Kristen if you have questions at rkristen@mulgrave.com.

G7-11 MSAC/SSAC Service Action Council: Decisions are in process and communications to student applicants are coming soon! Please contact Ms Roy (MSAC) or Mr Wilson (SSAC) if you have questions.

G7-12 House Leadership/Athletics Council: Decisions are in process and will be communicated soon. Please contact Mr Leduc if you have questions at cleduc@mulgrave.com.

G7-9 SpeakUp (Student Voice): Communications to student applicants are coming soon! Please contact Ms Moore if you have questions.

G9-12 Global Nomads: Communications to student applicants are coming soon! Please contact Mr Wilson if you have questions.

G7-9 Middle School Ambassadors: Communications to student applicants are coming soon! Please contact Ms Moore if you have questions.

G12 Board: This is a new G12 leadership team that is emerging as a replacement of the antiquated prefect system. G11s should consult communications from Ms. Nolan Wood regarding this process and contact her if you have any questions.

If you are not interested or ready to take on such a major role, please note there are always numerous opportunities throughout the year to get engaged in “learning to lead” with different levels of commitment via school-based clubs and other initiatives within and beyond Mulgrave. Check out other opportunities shared in assemblies, emails, newsletters, announcements, and via posts in TMC and SOGO. Students can also apply to “start up” their own initiatives through the StartUp Forum. Please talk to the Faculty Advisors for each leadership team to find out more or if you need greater support or details about leadership or the application process. If you require more information about the general leadership application, please contact Antony Wilson, Head of Global Engagement and Service Learning, at awilson@mulgrave.com. Good luck to all candidates!

LOOKING FOR MULGRAVE SOCIAL ENTREPRENEURS
WE Schools Opportunity – KPMG Workshop

We are looking for students who are…

1. Available to attend the in-person workshop in Vancouver on June 20th.
  2. Available to schedule skype coaching sessions with a WE Staff member between June 4th and June 18th.

If you are interested in participating, complete the attached elevator pitch worksheet and sent it me by Wed June 6 9am. This is an incredible opportunity for young entrepreneur to showcase their hard work and innovative social good initiatives.

Contact me with questions awilson@mulgrave.com

SHOW SOME PRIDE THIS MONTH

June is LGBTQ Pride Month, and there are a number of ways to show your support for the community both this month and year-round. From volunteering your time to donating to LGBTQ-friendly organizations, becoming a better ally and celebrating at a parade, there are all kinds of things you can do to get involved — and your efforts certainly don’t have to be limited to one month.

Here are nine ways you can take part in Pride and take action throughout the month of June and beyond.

IT’S TOME TO SIGN UP FOR LEAP ELECTIVES 2018-2019

Neonology #Leadership Camp Summer 2018

The Neonology Leadership Camp is a summer program for youth between the ages of 13-18 on the North Shore. It focuses on exploring issues of racism and training youth to become agents of positive change. Youth will go on outings, go on one night of an overnight camp, and volunteer in community initiatives. The camp runs from August 14th to 17th + 22nd. It’s free of cost and we’re accepting applications now! Apply by June 14th. Application forms and details at www.neonology.ca/leadership

For more information, visit our website or contact us at neonology@nsms.ca

More information HERE.

Congratulations Melissa Godin! Mulgrave Alum of the Year!

JOIN US FOR THE ALUMNI SUMMER KICK OFF THIS FRIDAY!

Join the annual World Partnership Walk @ Stanley Park on Sun Jun 17!

world_partnership_walk
What kind of global community do you envision? How can you bring that vision to life? Join thousands of Canadians who are making a difference in the lives of millions living in poverty by thinking globally and acting locally – in ten cities across the country. Step forward and be part of the World Partnership Walk in Vancouver on Sun Jun 17! Together, we can fight global poverty and be a positive force of change in the world.

If you’re looking for GOOD food, live music, and hanging out with your friends in the sun, this is the event for you!!

Donations made to the World Partnership Walk support Aga Khan Foundation Canada’s programs in Africa and Asia – initiatives that enable women and men to lift themselves and their children out of poverty, creating strong, vibrant communities able to lead their own development. Read more about how your support is having an impact in the fight against global poverty!

Join the Mulgrave team
Contact Mikhail T, Azad D, or Sahra K-L (G10) for more details on the Mulgrave World Partnership Team.

Join the Mulgrave team here: http://fundraise.worldpartnershipwalk.com/site/TR?team_id=19562&fr_id=1558&pg=team

We hope to see many of you join the team and come out to the walk!

PARTICIPATE IN THE WPW CIVVIES DAY ON LAST DAY OF SCHOOL
We are hosting a World Partnership Walk Civvies Day on June 27, the last day of school. Wear “cool for school civvies” for just a toonie; all funds raised support the World Partnership Walk and the Agha Khan foundation.

MY/SY PASSPORT REMINDERS: 

It’s time to make sure that you have finished up all of your requirements for your Passport this year. You should have posted the following for your MY and SY Passports:

1. Profile update (from September)
  2. Passport goals (from October)
  3. 2 Reflections on your progress and learning related to your goals (January and May). This might be done via separate posts about your three passport goals/domains or you may have one post that you do which addresses all three goals which you update 2 times NOTE Make sure you categorize your posts correctly so they show up under the domain category that it relates to (see below)
  4. Use CARL as a formula for reflection (see below)
  5. Use categories and ATLs: Please make sure that you make your posts with categories that relate to the domain of learning that you are engaged in; as well consider your ATLs learning and categorize your posts

HOW DO I REFLECT?

Consider the CARL Framework…

Need more information about what you are doing? Check out the Passport Hub – Everything you could possibly need to know about the MY or SY Passport programmes at Mulgrave. If you have any questions, contact Mr. Wilson: awilson@mulgrave.com.

CAPSTONE REMINDERS: REFLECTIONS 

G11 CAS Capstone
Please see reflection guidelines here or touch base with Ms Wall.

NEW #STARTUP APPLICATIONS COMING SOON! #SOCENT #KICKSTARTER #STARTSOMEGOOD

APPY NOW TO KICK START YOUR CLUB OR SCHOOL INITIATIVE
Can’t find a club you are interested in? Got a great idea for an Upper School Mulgrave club, service initiative, community activity, fundraiser, awareness campaign, or cause to support at Mulgrave and beyond? Make your pitch to the StartUp Forum!

The StartUp Forum replaces the Mulgrave Dragon’s Den (The Den) format from previous years. The forum is made up of a student-led panel drawn from a range of leadership teams and grades, facilitated by SAC (the Service Action Council). This team will review all new school, citizenship, service, social good or fundraising proposals by students and make decisions on whether or in what way the pitch moves forward with possible support, resources and opportunities. They also decide on the scope and impact on school.

Click here to access the application or fill it in below. If you have any questions about applying to the StartUp Forum, please contact Mr Wilson or Yuheng W G11.

<

SoGo Logo bb72b57eaa5835310f2985f61807a8c0

WEEKLY HIGHLIGHTS: LOOKING FOR WAYS TO GET ENGAGED? 

Are you looking for opportunities in global-local leadership, school or community engagement? Searching for Passport or G11-12 CAS Capstone experiences or volunteer opportunities in leadership, global-intercultural, personal health and wellness, creativity, activity, and service.

SoGo is your 24/7 searchable listings of #socialgood Passport and CAS resources. Simply scroll through posts below in SoGo | #SocialGood BulletinBoard @MulgraveSchool or visit the site here for all the resources you need to get engaged in experiential learning beyond classroom.

Scroll, Select. Change Your World!

To find out more about all the student life happenings at Mulgrave and beyond, please see the weekly student announcements on the TMC (TheMulgraveCitizen) blog and all the other leadership, service, global citizenship and #socialgood postings on the blog SoGo.  If you are on Twitter, you can also follow @MulgraveCitizen for regular updates. You can also contact Antony Wilson, Head of Student Life, a.

TMC acknowledges that we live and work on the unceded and traditional territory of the Coast Salish Nations of Musqueum, Tsleil-Waututh and Squamish people.