An initiative that empowers youth and families with educational tools and resources to promote their own positive well-being and the well-being of their community.
WE Well-being is a proactive approach built on evidence-based prevention and promotion strategies, designed to build a foundation of awareness, understanding and taking action.
Developed in collaboration with leading mental health professionals and with the support of our founding partner, the Erika Legacy Foundation, our goal is to achieve the following transformative outcomes:
Lynn Canyon Ecology Centre
CONTACT: Tricia Edgar, Education Programmer PHONE: (604) 990-3755
MINIMUM AGE: 15 years old & up (younger volunteers are accepted but require parental supervision).
There are a wide range of volunteer opportunities available; click here to find out more.
Stanley Park Ecology Centre
Email: Visit Contact page Phone: (604)-257-6908
Do you want to volunteer in one of the greatest parks in the world and learn about amazing ecosystems that thrive so close to Vancouver’s busy downtown core? The Stanley Park Ecology Society offers unique volunteer opportunities that will connect you and others with nature. Engage with wildlife, nature and like-minded people. Volunteers are engaged in all aspects of SPES’s work from education, conservation, wildlife monitoring, and office tasks. You might find yourself monitoring water quality, trapping fish or talking with park visitors, helping a child with a pond dip or working on a database. With a wide variety of exciting and fulfilling opportunities to choose from, volunteers enjoy a multitude of challenging and fun learning experiences.
If you would like to join as a volunteer, check out Information for Volunteers and Volunteer Opportunities to see what piques your interest and then get in touch. Many of our volunteer opportunities are seasonally dependent.
MIDDLE & SENIOR GEx UPDATES
- Senior GEx Reistation Due Thu Dec 13. See GEx G10-12 Senior GEx Guide for more information.
- Middle GEx Fees Overdue: See G8-9 GEx Forms and Fees doc for details
- Next Middle GEx Student Meeting: Jan @ lunch
- Next Senior GEx Parent Meeting #1: Feb
G7-10 PASSPORT GOALS UPDATE & FIRST REFLECTION ON EXPERIENCES NOW DUE
The G7-10 MY (MYP Middle Years) Passport goals and profile are due.
MY PASSPORT STARTUP DEADLINES:
All of this information is also hosted in the Passport Google Classroom:
- Starting NOV 30: Post final updates or revisions to your Goals after Progress Report #1; need help on how to develop your goals? In the Middle School, check out the following guidelines.
- Starting NOV 30: post your first set of CARL reflections to your Passport Academic and Projects and a minimum of 2 other selected learning domains. Make sure you categorize your posts appropriately
- OCT 10, 2018: Post/complete your updated Profile and Goals, including your Passport goals ready for Advisory Goal-Setting Conferences; continue to update your goals as the year progresses and as your goals unfold or change. See guideline on MY Passport goal-setting here.
- NOV 30, 2018: Post final updates or revisions to your Goals after Progress Report #1; post CARL reflections to your Passport Academic and Projects and a minimum of 2 other selected learning domains.
- JAN 30, 2019: Post CARL reflections to your Passport Academic and Projects and a minimum of 2 other selected learning domains.
- MAR 13, 2019: Post CARL reflections to your Passport Academic and Projects and a minimum of 2 other selected learning domains.
- APR 24, 2019: Post CARL reflections to your Passport Academic and Projects and a minimum of 2 other selected learning domains.
- MAY 29, 2019: Post CARL reflections to your Passport Academic and Projects and a minimum of 2 other selected learning domains. G7-9 post reflections based on your GEx experiences.
Want to be a Big Buddy for Mulgrave Mentors?
This year we are also running a Mulgrave Big Buddies programme with Admiral Seymour Elementary school in East Van which involves Mulgrave students visiting the school regularly and being “big buddies” helping in the classroom. If you would like to participate in Backpack Buddies or the Big Buddies programmes, you need to get your Advisory involved in Backpack Buddies first. Ask your teacher if he or she is signed up for Backpack Buddies this year and offer to be a leader to help facilitate the programme in your Advisory. Engagement and help with Backpack Buddies is a ticket in for the Big Buddies and then we can send you.
If you want more information about joining in on this programme, please contact Tara M G11 email@example.com.
VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES WITH SENIORS
The following health and supportive living centres offer a variety of youth opportunities for Senior School G10-12 students who want to get volunteer experiences in healthcare and social services in support of seniors. Please contact them to find out more or check out the overviews of various programmes in the North Shore Volunteer Directory here.
Capilano Care Centre
A long term care services and residence for seniors
CONTACT: Alana Amaroso, Volunteer Coordinator
PHONE: (604) 926-6856 ext. 331
Lynn Valley Care Centre
Lynn Valley Care Centre is North Vancouver’s newest state-of-the-art Complex Care facility dedicated to providing a comprehensive range of programs and services. Our focus is on individuals and meeting their unique needs through appropriate activities, care and support.
CONTACT: Leslie Cyment PHONE: (604)-988-4181
Got a great idea for a club, activity, leadership initiative, social good project for Mulgrave or beyond? Want to launch a social entrepreneurship venture? Need support or resources? Submit your proposal to the StartUp crew here.
We’re gearing up for our 25th Anniversary celebration next week! December 20th: Mulgrave’s 25th Anniversary Celebration 4:30pm. Join us for the opening of the West Wing, a big birthday celebration, and our annual Alumni Basketball Game!
As part of our big 25th Anniversary Celebration on Thursday, December 20th, we will officially open the new West Wing. The spaces are amazing and so close to being ready for students in the new year!
If you haven’t yet sent in your RSVP for the event, please click here so we can follow up with additional details. The festivities start at 4:30pm, followed by the annual Alumni Basketball Games at 6:30pm.